Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cape Elizabeth Land Trust Wet Paint Auction

Portland Head Light   16" x 20"   oil on panel



I had a spectacular weekend painting Cape Elizabeth, Maine (my first visit there) and participating in Sunday's Paint For Preservation 2013 auction.  The event organizers were kind enough to pair me with a generous host to stay with for the weekend, Paula and Bill Laverty of Delano Park.  I also had the pleasure of meeting a number of other wonderful Delano Park residents as well as many Cape Elizabeth art collectors at the auction.

For the event, I decided to paint Portland Head Light located in Fort Williams Park.  Instead of painting the lighthouse and its buildings from a distance (as done all too frequently), I created a more unconventional composition looking up at the lighthouse from its base - capturing the height and strength of the lighthouse structure illuminated by the early morning sunlight.  I was happy with the painting and very pleased with the price it brought at the auction later that evening.

Cape Elizabeth is a truly remarkable and stunningly scenic spot that is being preserved and protected through the efforts of the Cape Elizabeth Land Trust.  Established in 1985, the organization is responsible for placing over 560 acres of land and trails in permanent protection for the public benefit.

No comments: