Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day 2012

bay window      8" x 10"  oil on panel

Today, many of us have the day off from their jobs to enjoy this great American holiday -  getting together with family, friends and maybe a firing up a barbeque.  Labor Day, designated by Congress in 1894 for the first Monday in September, is an annual national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

 I also pondered taking the day off, but found myself pulled to the easel and paint palette to create a painting.  I put my IPod ear buds on and selected an album - Pat Martino's Stone Blue (which I highly recommend) - and went to work.  I selected an image I took of a bay window that caught my eye on a recent visit to Isleboro.  Great lighting and historic architectural detail - two of my favorite ingredients that I feel make an engaging composition.

Have a great Labor Day holiday!

No comments: